Welcome to the Archives Forums

This forum is a place where you can introduce yourself and your interest in the subject, and get to know the other members.

Moderator: carlj

Welcome to the Archives Forums

Postby jerrid1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:50 am

I would like to welcome everyone to the Forums of the Archives of Cultural Exchanges. I know that this has taken some time to get up and running. Professor Johannessen apologizes for this. Again, welcome.

What is the Archives Forum?
The forum is designed to be a free environment in which we can discuss the many topics surrounding Pre-15th Century Diffusion of Plants, Animals, and Cultural Traits Across the Tropical Oceans. After many years of research, both in the libraries and archives of the world and in the field, we became firmly convinced that there was a significant amount of interaction between ancient tropical societies and that this discovery was important, not only for its scientific value but also for its potential to reframe discussions in history, philosophy, and racial relations. In that spirit we welcome all participants to this forum to post and reply to any and all posts.

What are the Forum restrictions?
This is a community of people in search of further evidence of early contact between the hemispheres. We expect every member to adhere to certain rules. These are very simple.
1) Do not post personal attacks against other members of the forum. We are holding professional and open discussions.
2) Do not use derogatory language or profanity in the posts or replies. Again, this is a professional discussion.
3) If you disagree with the data of a post or reply, please include your sources if you post a response.
4) If you post photos or diagrams, please state whether they are your own work or the work of others. If they are the work of others, please credit the proper source.

We welcome everyone to post their opinions, thoughts, and ideas about Pre-15th Century Transoceanic Diffusion. We are searching for the truth. Please feel free to post either in support or opposition to the premise. Please remember that there are many professional researchers on this site and they expect a certain standard of proof.

Jerrid
System Administrator
Jerrid M. Wolflick
Private Scholar

"For those who need degrees, knowledge does not come."
jerrid1
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Archives Forums

Postby davelu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:18 pm

i'm approaching retirement. was a contractor/carpender for many years. then i moved into drafting/engineering and digitized material takeoffs, etc for different companies. my interests are/were mountain climbing, exploring road trips (my most favorite series of books are "roadside geology" -- i have most of them although i probably will not get to most of the states but the thought is great. i am also very interested in chinese history and ruins, silk route and the general exploration of the world. of course, the biggest puzzle for me is the pyramids, inca building, aztec and mayan building, how did they do it, -- i seem to be drifting here so will cut this short -- i have a lot of reading to do :D
davelu

Re: Welcome to the Archives Forums

Postby mdubrasich » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

I am the founder and executive director of the Western Institute for Study of the Environment [W.I.S.E.], a Lebanon, Oregon think tank building an on-line library focused on forests, wildlife, wildfire, and environmental history.

http://westinsenv.org

I hold degrees in Forestry [UC Berkeley 1974] and Statistics [Oregon State University 1995]. I am the author of “A Guide to Innovative Tree Farming in the Pacific Northwest" and have been a consulting forester in Oregon for 28 years, specializing in forest biometics and forest restoration.

Forest restoration means active management to recover historical cultural landscapes, historical vegetation development pathways, and traditional ecological stewardship to achieve resiliency to fire and insects, provide sustainable resource products and services, and to preclude and prevent a-historical catastrophic fires that degrade and destroy myriad resource values.

Restoration is predicated upon history. Recognition and study of the historical impact of human beings on the environment provides a better scientific description of the development pathways of forests (including old-growth forests), prairies, savannas, and other vegetation types formerly extant on our continent (and other continents as well).

Old theories that ignore historical human influences are filled with anomalies. They do not adequately explain ecosystem development or current conditions. The presumption that “Mother Nature” alone was responsible is too simplistic to account for what we see on the landscape.

Anthropologists, ethno-botanists, historians, and historical landscape geographers study the past, specifically the past conditions of landscapes and the historical human influences that shaped them. From Keter, Thomas S. 1995. Environmental History and Cultural Ecology of the North Fork of the Eel River Basin, California. USDA For. Ser. R5-EM-TP-002:

The peoples who inhabited the North Fork basin during prehistoric times were, however, far more than passive observers of the environment within which they lived. The concept of a pristine wilderness untouched by human activities during the prehistoric era is not valid for this region. Aboriginal groups affected their environments through their subsistence and cultural activities. Thus, a dynamic interaction existed between the environment and the lifeways of the aboriginal inhabitants of the region.

I believe that cultural anthropologists, historians, and archaeologists with their distinct perspectives can help to provide a deeper understanding of past environmental trends needed for ecosystems management. Without an understanding of historical ecological processes and past human land-use activities, any attempt to make recommendations about the management of today’s National Forests from an ecosystem management perspective will be inadequate. …

Dr. Johannessen is a world-class scholar and leader of investigations into historical human influences on the environment. His research and teachings are ground-breaking and cutting-edge, and of utmost importance to modern environmental management as well as to more esoteric historical geography.

This website/forum is thus of tremendous value not only to scholars but to practitioners of ecological restoration. Thank you, Carl and Jerrid, for creating this important discussion forum.
mdubrasich

Return to Welcome the the Archives